Friday, February 6, 2015

Interview with Mathew Heinecke, WILLAKAVILLE


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
Willakaville is a brand new kind of children's book. It contains several engaging short stories that use comedy, science fiction and  adventure to convey important life lessons. The stories revolve around a fictional small town called Willakaville. Young children in the town experience all kinds of predicaments ranging from censorship, zombies, viruses, magic gone astray to aliens. Readers will learn valuable lessons on problem solving, ownership, self-esteem, creativity and manners.

Willakaville (Amazing Adventures of Astronomical Awesomeness) is my first book. I loved writing and illustrating so much that I am already working on the second book of the series.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish your book(s)?
I go to pay the bills, and I did not have much disposable income to spend on a publisher or editor. Plus, I always have been a do-it-yourself kind of guy.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I do enjoy listening to music. I will listen to different kinds depending on what I am writing about. For example, if I am writing a fast paced scene, I will listen to fast music like NIN or Metallica.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you? 
I usually come up with ideas throughout the day and jot them down and write as it comes to me. If I get stuck or can’t find an idea, I will create a small outline.
What have you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey?

I have learned a lot. Self-publishing was easier than I expected. However, it can be frustrating when you notice a mistake and have to keep re-uploading manuscripts. I also have learned how marketing a big part of publishing a book. Lastly, I realized you need to take the time to edit, re-edit and re-re-edit.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
Yes – Willakaville is sold on Nook, Kobo, Lulu and Scribd

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
Willakaville is on Goodreads, Facebook (facebook.com\willakaville), Twitter (@trybykart), and Blogger (willakaville.blogspot.com)

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
Extremely. I can’t believe how many avenues there are for marketing. Since I am on a low budget, I have had to sift through hundreds of websites and send countless emails asking for reviews. I think I have exhausted most of the free resources for now. I am now looking forward to getting back into my writing.

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
Too many. I love to play sports. I have been playing a little bit of tennis and I like to get out and play golf when I can. I also love to create artwork, I work on t-shirt and logo designs as well and acrylic painting and marker illustrations. I enjoy watching a good sci-fi movie or TV show as well. And of course, being with my wife and children, traveling and socializing with.

What’s next for you?
Many more Willakaville adventures are on the way. I have tons of ideas and plan on adding much more illustrations. The next in the series will be subtitled ‘Baffling Ballads of Boisterous Braveness’. I hope to have it ready sometime in April/May.

Amazon buy link:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.