Friday, October 17, 2014

Interview with Paul DeBlassie III


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The Unholy is a novel of destiny as healer and slayer, a young curandera, medicine woman engaged in a life-and-death battle with an evil Archbishop…a definite stand alone novel.

Do you have a favorite character?
Each of the characters in The Unholy, good and evil, present remarkably likeable aspects of their personalities within the story; if I had to choose I’d say the young medicine woman whose life is on the line and whose psyche is haunted by destiny is so inspirational that she’d have to be my favorite.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?
Oh sure, and I ultimately did decide to go with a traditional publisher, Sunstone Press, because the house really saw the vision of The Unholy and agreed, totally got behind, the publication of such a controversial work.

What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher?
Jim Smith at Sunstone Press immediately got the theme of The Unholy—Religion Kills---and was on fire about it. That’s what ultimately helped me to decide to go with Sunstone Press for publication.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I write according to what the spirit, the inspiration of the moment has in it, just as I’m writing now with the background of silence since it nourishes my thoughts and assists me to catch old of the ideas going through my mind so I can put them on the page in a coherent manner.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
Professional editors are a critical part of the process in helping the manuscript come to publication since the author isn’t able to approach the work objectively, to see what needs to changed so as to communicate with as many people as the story is meant to reach.

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
Virtual PR is my preferred mode of marketing since I’m able to be involved with so many people that I wouldn’t have met otherwise, the sheer magnitude of the outreach rather mind blowing!

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
The overall life and process of being a published author for me is one of integrating both writing and pr, both aspects integral to who I am as a writer, so it isn’t difficult because there is no juggling only living the life of a writer and expressing myself in a given moment in a given venue.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
Whether a writer is self publishing or using a traditional publisher, what matters is that she or he constantly stay with the life of being a writer and all that that means, not give up, constantly put one foot in front of the other and write and live on!

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
I love time with my wife, Kate, and my grown children and their spouses, and my new granddaughter who is about to be borne! Creative process for me is birthed out of relationships lived creatively and to the best of my ability.

BLURB: 
A young curandera, a medicine woman, intent on uncovering the secrets of her past is forced into a life-and-death battle against an evil Archbishop. Set in the mystic land of Aztlan, The Unholy is a novel of destiny as healer and slayer. Native lore of dreams and visions, shape changing, and natural magic work to spin a neo-gothic web in which sadness and mystery lure the unsuspecting into a twilight realm of discovery and decision.

Amazon buy link:

AUTHOR BIO:
Paul DeBlassie III, Ph.D., is a psychologist and writer living in Albuquerque who has treated survivors of the dark side of religion for more than 30 years. His professional consultation practice — SoulCare — is devoted to the tending of the soul.

Dr. DeBlassie writes fiction with a healing emphasis. He has been deeply influenced by the mestizo myth of Aztlan, its surreal beauty and natural magic.  He is a member of the Depth Psychology Alliance, the Transpersonal Psychology Association and the International Association for Relational Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. 

Author Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.