Monday, April 18, 2011

Victorine Lieski, A Year Later & the NYT's bestseller list!


How have things changed for you in the past year?
Things have changed tremendously for me.  Last year I had a novel sitting on my hard drive, and no one knew my name.  Since I self-published last year I've sold 90,000 books and I get fan emails.  My book made it on the USA Today and NYT's best seller lists.  People around town stop me and ask me how my book is doing because they've seen me on the news or read about me in the newspaper.  Quite a few literary agents have contacted me, and I have signed with Rachel Vogel of Movable Type Literary Group.  I got an email from an editor at New American Library, a division of Penguin, who asked about my next book.  I'm just finishing up my second book which my agent will shop to NY.  I could never have imagined these things one year ago.  It's amazing.

What kind of marketing did you do to get your book in front of readers?
I've done quite a few things to get the word out about my book.  I joined forums like 
kindleboards.com and got to know the people there.  I've networked with other authors to do giveaways and promotions.  I've posted on Facebook and Twitter.  I started a blog and I submitted my book to book bloggers.

Do you have a publishing contract for your current book?  Will you consider one? 
I do not currently have a publishing contract, but yes I am considering all options.  I think having options is the best place for any author.  There's no reason to say no to something that hasn't been presented to me yet.

Any foreign rights sold?
I have had inquires but nothing sold yet.

Do you have plans for any more books?
I am just finishing up my second book and I have already started on a third.  If you would have told me that a year ago I wouldn't have believed you, because my rubber stamp business and four kids keep me on my toes.  But with the money that is coming in from my book sales we have been able to ease off the marketing of my rubber stamp business, thus giving me more time to write.

Any advice for newbie authors?
I'm a huge supporter of self-publishing.  My advice would be to join a critique group, polish up your book until it shines, and then put it out there for sale on the Kindle and Nook.  Join Kindleboards and begin reading all you can in the Writer's Cafe.  Network with the other authors and promote as best you can to your audience.  Send your book out to as many book bloggers as you can find, and be professional in all you do.





Victorine and her husband live in Nebraska where they manufacture rubber stamps for the craft industry. They own and operate Victorine Originals Rubber Stamps from their home, where they raise their four children. Victorine has a degree in Art from BYU Idaho, and designs many of the rubber stamps they sell. She has always loved to read, and in her spare time she writes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.