Friday, April 22, 2011

Interview with Linda Prather

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first book.  How long did it take you to finish that manuscript?
I started my first book at a writer's retreat.  I finished the first draft in a week, but it took nearly a year to research and hone it to what I thought was a good book.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?
Actually at the end of the writer's retreat the next year we had an opportunity to meet with publishers and editors and I pitched my novel to a publisher who asked for the manuscript.  I published my first novel with a small press.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish to Amazon?
Basically I wasn't happy with everything related to my published work, my second novel was almost ready to publish, and I had received my rights back from the first book.  Having read success stories such as J. A. Konrath's and Karen McQuestion I decided to give it a go and see what happened.

Did you design your cover art?  If not, would you care to share your graphic designer’s information? How involved were you during the creative process for your cover?
The original cover for The Gifts was designed by the publisher.  The new covers on the ebooks were designed by me.

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey?
It's a very satisfying journey, but also a lot of work.  I've made some really wonderful friends in the Indie network, and I've discovered some great writers.  I guess the greatest lesson in the self-publishing journey is the same with the traditionally published journey--it takes time to get noticed.  Be patient, promote your work and keep writing.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
Just about everywhere that ebooks are available.  Smashwords, B & N, Sony and Apple just to name a few.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
All of them.  I spend time each day on Facebook, twitter, Kindleboards, MySpace and other less known areas.  I also blog at least three times a week, and I do author interviews and book reviews.   I'm also on Goodreads and several author forums.

What’s next for you?
More books.  I’m currently working on a psychic thriller that I love.  I also have a satire work I've been playing with, and it seems the imagination just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.  If I just had loads of money and lots of time I could keep churning them out.

  

1 comment:

Your post will be published after administrator approval.